Wednesday, August 24, 2016

On Turning Forty

Tomorrow I leave my thirties behind, and hit my fortieth birthday; which, as is often said, is surely better than the alternative.

As a long time reader, I thought it might be fun to see what I was reading back in 2006 as I was leaving my twenties behind, so her goes, from my "Books Read" list from August of 2006, the last five books I read in my twenties:

The Door Into Summer, by Robert A. Heinlein
A 1957 Science Fiction novel by Heinlein that to be honeset I don't entirely remember - I'll lay odds it has something to do with a man abused by his fiance, who gets revenge using time travel and eventually marries her spunky and much younger sister. (SPOILER - after looking at a synopsis on wikipedia I'm pretty much 100$ correct).

The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks
A romance novel I'm pretty certain I read for one of my bookclubs; I actually have a pretty good recollection of the story and honestly it would be a pretty great entry into romance fiction for anyone.

The Godwulf Manuscript, by Robert B. Parker
This was the first of Robert B. Parker's Spencer novels, a series that would become my personal favourite in detective fiction and an author who's books I devoured, at the rate of one a month for years.

Never Cry Wolf, by Farley Mowat
A re-read for me at the time, but as one can never read too much Farley, Never Cry Wolf may be one of my favourite Canadian books period.  It follows the author through his government sponsored study to prove that wolves were a menace to be destroyed and his findings that pretty much the opposite was entire true.

Ring Around the Sun, by Clifford D. Simack
A recommendation from Stephen King, suggested as his introduction to alternate dimensions that would one day lead to certain story concepts in his Dark Tower series, It doesn't quite stand up for me as well as his 1963 novel Way Station, but is a fine example of great classic Science Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment