Thursday, January 29, 2015

Chicago Day 1


I'm currently in Chicago for the 2015 Midwinter meeting of the American Library Association, but as with many people travelling to the Second City, I have a few things to get done first...

So it's my First winter day in Chicago and what do I do?

Hit some used-book stores of course.

First up was a promising Fantasy/Horror/Science Fiction store called Buckets O' Blood.  The store was easy to find, tiny and unfortunately for me, lacking in the horror-novels-I-don't-already-own department (a common problem when you have more than a few boxes of horror novels in your garage, and basement, and in your study...)  If you're in the area it is well worth checking out, and I was happy to see it had much more than the common V.C. Andrews, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Anne Rice selection most stores have, it just didn't have anything new for me.

Luckily for me, the next story was Open Books (pictured right), which, in addition to having a number of Charles de Lint books I was looking for (always a fun twist to have the Canadian fantasy reader come across a number of hard to find books by his favourite Canadian Fantasy author in the United States), by shopping there I also contributed to a great cause, which you can read more about here.

Next up, I finally righted the wrong I committed last time I came to Chicago and made sure I got to try some authentic Chicago deep dish pizza.  I went to Lou Malnati's and tried the Chicago classic (Made with Lou's lean sausage, some extra cheese and vine-ripened tomato sauce on Buttercrust.™) The pizza was incredible, and I'm already working at ways to ensure I branch out and don't simply eat there for the rest of my stay.


Tomorrow, The MidWinter Meeting Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment