Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bookmonkey vs. Stairs

In my recent quest to get healthier I've joined an Alberta-based website called UWalk.ca, which is a fun way to keep track of your activity, whether through walking (the primary activity on the site) or through any number of other activities, such as flights of stairs.

So apparently we (humans) should be aiming to not only walk 10,000 steps a day, but also do 10 flights of stairs a day - as a baseline.  Also one of my coworkers informed me that for fitness purposes you should only be counting the flights you go up.

Also, UWalk has a game inspired series of accomplishments on the site that you can collect as you go, such as: 10,000 steps a day, or 10 flights a day, as well as cumulative steps taken goals (walked 100 miles, etc.), but the two accomplishments that shocked me the most were:

1) Walked 75,000 steps (60 Km) in a day - that's 37.28 miles for my readers in the States
2) Climbed 250 flights in a day - which clearly sounded insane to me.

But, as a guy always up for a challenge, I thought I would give it a shot.

So on Monday I climbed 30 flights of stairs, and yesterday (Wednesday) I climbed 40.

Yikes.

Now I'm not one of those fancy running guys who take the steps two at a time, and right now I'm taking a breather after every three flights, but still - that's a lot of steps!

No comments:

Post a Comment