Monday, March 31, 2014

My Complicated feelings about the 2014 TMNT Remake

So a few days ago I saw the first trailer for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) film and I have to say it left me a little conflicted.

Here's the thing; I grew up with the Ninja Turtles, I read the classic comics, watched the show, owned the toys, played the role-playing game and felt solidly betrayed by TMNT III: Turtles in Time - so let's just say I've been there, I know of what I speak and I come from a place where I can say I'm a big fan, it holds a special place in my childhood and even through I may not have liked every iteration of TMNT, for the most part I'm on board.

Now we get the new trailer, promising us a sleeker, more up-to-date look at the turtles, and I ask myself - do we need this?  I mean, I'm a big fan of movies, and I dedicated a whole month to reimaginings of older movies a few years back so it's not like I feel that reexamining a title has no merit.

But the Turtles?  My heroes on a half shell?

I honestly don't know how to feel about this.  True, I was in a similar place back in 1990 when the first live-action TMNT film came out, and I left the theatre promising myself that I would have the lyrics to Turtle Power down by heart within the week, but I was 14-years-old when that movie came out.

I'm just not sure I have love for another iteration of Turtle film in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment