Monday, February 10, 2014

How long should you stick with a series?

So I'm in a bit of a pickle; I've read the first two books of a series and am unsure of whether or not I want to continue.

The first book I read, Brian Lumley's 1986 novel Necroscope, was actually pretty great - Although aware of the series for a long time, I was unnerved by the cover art, and was pleased to find the novel was both exciting and had me intrigued to read the rest of the series.

Then I read the second book in the series, Necroscope II: Wamphyri! and found myself a little underwhelmed; the story didn't quite move fast enough for me and there were some plot holes I couldn't get past.

Now the series overall has a lot of sequels and spin-off titles, but the reviews I've read over the years say it's pretty great, but after being disappointed by the sequel I'm a little hesitant to sign on to such a large series of books, and I'm pretty sure if I read book three I'm going to in it for the long haul.

I'm not actually sure whether to continue or not, anyone out there have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment