Monday, September 30, 2013

Movie Review: Oblivion

For my last post before switching over to my month of examining Hack/Slash I thought I would talk about a pretty great movie I saw over the weekend; Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion.

Adapted from an unpublished graphic novel (once the film was picked up, the publication date for the graphic novel was moved to coincide with the release of the film), Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise was a pretty amazing looking film.

As a story, I ran into the issue that I've read a lot of science fiction over the years and was pretty confident as I went through the film what all of the major plot points and twists would be - I still enjoyed the movie, but it was for other reasons.

First of all, the film is staggering in how good it looks - the sets (specifically the house in the clouds the two main characters live in) was simply amazing to look at - I'm used to spotting computer-gernated effects in films and there really didn't seem to be a lot as far as the sets were concerned.  Secondly, the score, by M83 was just great - I haven't purchased a lot of scores in the last few years, but I have to admit I was pretty tempted here.  I felt the acting was pretty great - I just sort of wish the story had a bit more of a wow factor for me - which again, may just be a jaded science fiction fan's response.

Definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment