Tuesday, May 7, 2013

RIP Ray Harryhausen


When I think back the earliest monsters in my own memory, before horrifying aliens, or slasher killers, or zombies, heck even before floating vampire kids (shudder), there was one that freaked me out more than any other.

I’m talking about The Medusa (pictured above).
 
And I’m specifically talking about the creature created by Ray Harryhausen for the 1981 film, Clash of the Titans.  This thing, rattlesnake tale, lower body of a snake, and snakes for hair freaked me out like nothing else, and the fact that you could never look at it, or you would be turned to stone, simply horrified me as a child.

Although I’ve seen, and appreciated many more of the creatures created for the movies by Ray Harryhausen, for me The Medusa from Clash of the Titans is the thing that showed me just how dark fantasy could get, and in a lot of ways started my lifelong exploration of the genre.

Thanks Ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment