Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Genre Character of the Week: Batman circa 1889

Like everyone, I have a bunch of books that were given to me years ago that I still haven't got around to reading yet, but as I did all of my March reading on time, I got to check out a few magazines and the Christmas gift my BFF Mike and his lovely wife Trish gave me in 2009.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

Considered the first of what would become DC's Elseworld titles - wherein current DC superheroes (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.) have their stories retold in different times, settings and in some cases worlds.

Gotham by Gaslight tells the story of Batman set in 1889 Gotham.  Also this version of Batman gets to fight Jack the Ripper.  Written by Brian Augustyn, Drawn by Mike Mignola (Hellboy) with inks by P. Craig Russell the story very creatively fits together the Batman mythos, American history and the crimes of Jack the Ripper.

An excellent read.

No comments:

Post a Comment