Friday, March 8, 2013

Things I’ve Noticed: Beautiful Monsters Was a Pretty Cool Exhibition



One of the great things about where I work is that I’m just a few blocks away from all sorts of cultural centres in my city, libraries (which I use – a lot), Art Galleries, and Performing Arts Centres are literally just sitting there, available for my cultural edification any time I like.

Obviously (with the exception of the library), I’ve never really visited any of these places.

So yesterday I was trying to come up with some sort of monster-themed post for today’s blog and I googled Monsters and Edmonton which lead me to the Alberta Art Gallery ’s current exhibition: Beautiful Monsters: Beasts and Fantastic Creatures in Early European Prints (which closes on Sunday).  Having never gone to an art gallery before (except on school trips, but those visits are pretty structured), I wasn’t exactly sure what to exptect.  I knew I wasn’t supposed to touch anything, but that was about it.

What I found was a pretty cheap way to enjoy some stunning (and often creepy) works of art featuring all sorts of bizarre creatures as well as a lot of depictions of devils, demons and Hell itself.  The artwork was really quite cool and the images will definitely stick with me.

Quick rule of thumb for you other art gallery novices – try to book at least an hour to work your way through an exhibition.  I had 25 minutes and although I had time to read everything, I did feel pretty rushed and wish I could have gone back and checked out my favourites again before I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment