Monday, January 28, 2013

Movie Review: Frankenweenie

Over the weekend I checked out the 2012 film Frankenweenie, a full-length adaptation of a short film from 1984, and found it to be a lot of fun.

The story, a take on the Frankenstein story by Mary Shelly, but replacing Victor's hubris with love for his pet dog, had a lot to say about kids, death and pets, but did it in a light-hearted way that had more than a few nods to classic monster movies throughout.

My biggest problem was that I honestly preferred the live-action short from the 80s - it did everything I needed it to, and although it didn't have some of the more creative monsters that this film had, it felt just about right for me at the time.

In the end the recent film was a lot of fun, but I'm not sure if I'd add it to my DVD collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment