Friday, November 9, 2012

Things I’ve Noticed: Wow – Pannekoeken are tasty!


On Tuesday, my friend Trish was lamenting to my wife and I about the opening of a new Dutch restaurant in our fair city – not that she has anything against Dutch food (she’s Dutch herself) but that as the restaurant is only a breakfast and lunch place, she works too far away to enjoy it.


Luckily for me, I work across the street from it (pictured above).  DeDutch serves traditional Dutch cuisine, all in a very cozy little setting very accessible to anyone who can get to downtown Edmonton.  As I had my lunch break today from 11:30 to 12:30, I beat the rush and was able to grab a quick photo of the dining room.


Not being very familiar with Dutch cuisine (except in terms of baking, largely because I live near on of our city’s Dutch bakeries) and having very little idea of where to start, I let my server suggest a good first meal – The Windmill Pannekoeken – which is a large 12” light pancake (or heavy crepe) served with wild B.C. Salmon, Edam Cheese and Hollandaise Sauce.


Traditionally you roll up your Pannekoeken and eat it in slices, so that’s exactly what I did.


The food was really tasty – and I got the one with fish as my friend Trish is not partial to those and I didn’t want to make her too jealous – but next time I’m thinking of something with apple, and maybe cheddar. 

Overall, an excellent place, the meal was served quickly (7 minutes from my order to my table) and it wasn’t too hard on the wallet ($25 including coffee and tip) – and believe me, I’m still feeling pretty full and it’s been a few hours since lunch.

Definitely worth checking out.




1 comment:

  1. We lived as children for a couple of years in Belgium, near the place where Holland, Belgium and Germany meet. We'd go there often to a pancake place that served the wonderful thick savoury and sweet pancakes. My mouth still waters 30 years later!

    ReplyDelete