Monday, November 26, 2012

Movie Review: The Cabin in the Woods

Seven months after it was released in theatres, my wife I and finally got a copy of the 2012 horror film The Cabin in the Woods, and wow, was this movie right up my alley.

About fifteen minutes into the film, my wife turns to me and say, "So, obviously you're going to be buying this" and she was absolutely right.  The movie is a bizarre twist/homage to the classic slasher film that I grew up on (Roger Ebert uses the phrase Dead Teenager Movies which I love, but didn't hear until I was an adult) and unfortunately there isn't much I can say about it without giving away major plot points.

Lets say that on the simplest level it is about five friends who go on a weekend trip to a cabin in the woods and end up involved in something pretty terrifying.

The movie is a lot of fun, made me think of Tucker and Dale vs. Evil and Night of the Creeps a lot in how it plays with the standard concepts and plots of slasher films and director Drew Goddard has come up with something truly unique in the horror genre.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked that one! So did I! What a friend we have in Shinto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this. You should have seen it at the cinema! One of those films which is great to watch with an audience. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil is also great, but unfortunately I'm still chomping at the bit to get an opportunity to catch Night of the Creeps.

    ReplyDelete