Thursday, May 31, 2012

Things I've Noticed: Horror Creeps into my music, too


I’ve written an awful lot over the last few years about favourite horror films, stories and games, but there are definitely a lot of favourite creepy songs out there as well.  Last night my lovely wife picked up the new Regina Spektor album,What We Saw from the Cheap Seatsand the seventh song is called All The Rowboats which takes a trip to a museum or gallery to an extremely creepy level; the song starts out by describing paintings in a museum:
 
All the rowboats, in the paintings
They keep trying to row away
And the captain's worried faces
Stay contorted and staring at the waves
They'll keep hanging, in their gold frames
For forever, forever and a day
All the rowboats, in the oil paintings
They keep trying to row away, row away
 
The whole album is really great, but this song both intrigued and freaked me out a little (musuems and galleries being cultural cousins of libraries – where I hope to work again one day).
 
I’ll admit, It may not have the same staying power as The Monster Mash or Ночь на лысой горе, but I’ve got to say the creepy factor was both unexpected and a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment