Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Genre Character of the Week: The Swamp Thing

Here’s the thing about The Swamp Thing – my first introduction to the character came from the Wes Craven film; the film follows Doctor Alec Holland, a man who is (like many classic comic book characters) about to make a scientific break-through when he is attacked, doused in chemicals, set on fire and runs off into the swamp (okay, maybe not that many comic book characters).

The thing is, it was only in my teen years that I discovered how incredible this character was – following the comics written by Alan Moore, the reader starts a journey following the transformed doctor and end up seeing the entire series dramatically change shape and form. I can’t quite stress enough how influential this character has been on my love of horror in general and comics in particular.

Seriously, if you haven’t taken the time to read this series yet – go out and do so; it ranks highly in my favourite comic series of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment