Friday, April 29, 2011

Things I've Noticed: Final Courses can be a lot of fun

Since 2004 I’ve been slowly but steadily working towards a Bachelors Degree in Professional Arts, majoring in Communications Studies. Last Thursday I handed in my final assignment of my final course, so now all I’ve got to do is sit and wait for it to get marked and then I will be in possession of a University degree.

My final course was called CMNS 425: Film & Genre, and my final three papers were on the following topics: 1) A Critical Review and discussion of the cultural influence of the film Night of the Living Dead, 2) A look at the development and evolution of the Horror genre based on the films Dracula (1931), The Curse of Frankenstein (1958), and Halloween (1978), and 3) A look at the concept of re-imagining in the horror genre, specifically focusing on the recent re-imaginings of Halloween, Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Here’s what I can say about the course – it was a whole lot of fun, it gave me a good idea for my next October-thon blog post thingy (I’ll be looking at a lot of horror re-imaginings), and I do feel that I learned a little bit more about my personal favourite genre.

Now I’m looking at Grad School, and as more than a few of my choices are in the States, I’ve got to take the GRE test (Graduate Record Examinations) before I can apply – I’m pretty sure the test won’t be as fun as my last course, but what the heck, I like taking standardized tests as much as the next guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment