Thursday, October 21, 2010

Twilight of Bookmonkey: Day Twenty-One


Well, having finished every book in the series, here’s what I’ve got to say about the entire Twilight Saga (The books specifically).

1) The series is a supernatural romance series. If you or your kid are old enough to deal with the sex and violence, I would recommend reading the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris instead (the basis for the HBO series True Blood)

2) The series has vampires and werewolves in it, but all of them are only sort of vampires and werewolves. If you’re looking for good books with these monsters in them I would recommend trying the classics (Dracula and The Werewolf of Paris).

3) These books sure are popular. Although both of my kids state that they are no longer interested in the series, both of them have friends who are, or friends parents who are. My personal opinion is that this comes down to a “right place, right time” phenomenon, as the franchise definitely hit a powerful chord with a huge part of the reading audience (many bookstores now have a supernatural romance section, and yes, that is due to the works of Stephenie Meyers).

As a horror fan I was mostly disappointed, although there were some scares, and as a vampire fan I could think of about a dozen books I’d rather have been reading. As a dad however, I’m glad I took the time to read the stuff my kids read – even if I am a few years out of date, as it gives us more things to talk about, and gives me a glimpse into the kind of stuff that they enjoy reading.

In the end I suppose it was time well spent – I wouldn’t wish it on anyone else, unless you had an equally good reason.

Also today I found a copy of New Moon on DVD at a thrift store (I got 2 DVDs for $5 – this one and Percy Jackson – guess which I’m more excited about!), so I’ll have my review of the second film early next week.

1 comment:

  1. I'd guess Percy Jackson which would be my own choice. LOL.

    ReplyDelete