Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Genre Character of the Week: Eddie Riggs

A few weeks back I started work at a new job which included a pay increase - I've always followed followed the theory that you should take the difference between your old paycheque and your new one and spend that first chunk on something for yourself. In my case, I got the toy I've been waiting four years for, a Playstation 3.

Out of all the games I'd been waiting to try on the new system, the top of the list was definitely BrĂ¼tal Legend, and a couple weeks in I've got to say that a huge part of the games appeal comes down to its main character, Eddie Riggs (pictured left).

The deal with Eddie is pretty simple, he's the worlds best Heavy Metal band Roadie, working for the worlds worst Heavy Metal band. These ungrateful whelps have no idea exactly how amazing their head roadie is, and when an ancient call is sounded and that roadie is sent to a strange new world, his deeds will become legend.

Voiced by comedian (and half of the band Tenacious D) Jack Black, Eddie is incredibly cool, very self aware of how magical journeys into other dimensions work and can whip together a show, a battle or even a car with only minutes to spare. He deafeats his enemies with both his battle-axe and through the power of rock.

As I'm not yet finished the game (I've defeated the first major villain at the pleasure domes), I'm not sure how the story will play out, but as I loved the game designers earlier game, Full Throttle, I know it will all be worth it.

Although I'm over a year late - the game came out last October, I've got to say that it is a lot of fun, the game works as an action game, a strategy game, and even a racing game. Also as it isn't the newest thing anymore the price is really reasonable (I paid $20), so if you like action-comedy games with a lot of heavy metal thrown it, I can't think of a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment