Monday, July 19, 2010

Move Review: Inception

This weekend I went out with my BFF Mike and saw the new Christopher Nolan film Inception.

First impression: Wow.

Luckily as I've had a day to digest it, my post will go on a little longer than that.

The premise of the film is pretty neat - imagine you could find a way to travel into a person's dreams, then imagine that while you're there you could find all of their secrets and bring the info back into the waking world. Our main characters in the film are extractors - shady figures who do exactly this, stealing secrets from businessmen and the like.

The title comes from the possible job of putting a thought in someone's head rather than taking one out, and more importantly, making them think the ideas was theirs in the first place.

I've loved movies based in the world of dreams for a long time, from Dreamscape to The Cell, there is just something so intriguing to me about journeys through the subconscious.

Also I love when my university book learning actually pays off in some way (I recognized that Canadian Ellen Page's character is named Ariadne, who in Greek mythology helped Theseus escape from the labyrinth of the Minotaur), so that I can feel my cash is actually leading towards me knowing more stuff.

The movie definitely falls within the category of films I would own, as I would recommend it to others and watch it again myself. The acting was great, the chase sequences were very cool and overall I simply felt invested in all these characters.

Years ago when I watched Memento, I thought that this writer/director had come up with an intriguing brain puzzle of a story. Inception is like that but on an entirely different level.

No comments:

Post a Comment