Friday, June 25, 2010

Things I’ve noticed: The Internet Makes Classic Horror Fiction Easy!

As a pretty dedicated horror reader, I’ve spent a lot of the last few years reading a lot of classic horror – the problem is that often I can’t find it in bookstores or my local library. Like it’s genre siblings Fantasy and Science Fiction, horror is usually limited to paperback copies and until recently there haven’t been a lot of dedicated collections of older horror that people can borrow from.

In the last few months, however, I’ve gotten a lot of use out of Project Gutenberg, the world’s oldest digitized collection of books. Basically they are volunteer driven, and only focus on materials in the public domain (old enough to no longer be covered by copyright).

From the point of view of a classic horror fiction fan, this has been a godsend for me. I waited over six years before I found the online copy of the Complete John Silence Stories I reviewed a couple weeks back. Next up for me is William Beckford’s The History of Caliph Vathek (1782).

No comments:

Post a Comment