Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Movie Review: Greenberg

Last night my wife and I went out to see the film Greenberg, starring Ben Stiller and Greta Gerwig, and I've got to say, the movie was really great. I'm a huge fan of films that can have me not only sympathizing, but also relating to characters as messed up as the two leads in this film.

The story of the film is pretty simple - while house-sitting for his brother's family, our main character (who has lived across the country for over a decade) begins to reconnect with old friends and starts to see how they have continued living their own lives and through this, as well as a relationship he starts with his brother's personal assistant, he begins to examine his own life.

It's kind of a comedy.

Just picture something uncomfortable, quiet, and a sort of coming-of-age story for someone turning 41.

The actors, by the way, are terrific. I love when comedic actors try something a little different and I'm not sure how much I would have liked Greenberg if he was played by anyone but Ben Stiller. Greta Gerwig (who I haven't seen in anything before) also did a wonderful job, giving her character a lot more depth than I was expecting.

I'm a big fan of the films director, Noah Baumbach, who made one of my favourite films about divorce, The Squid and the Whale back in 2005. This movie is definitely not the kind of film I usually talk about on the blog (no monsters, apocalypses, or flying cars), but I liked it so much I just have to put the recomendation out there.

Check out the trailer here, and if you've got time in the next month or so, give the movie a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment