Sunday, January 3, 2010

Book Review: Horror the 100 best books

Ah January, the time of year when I like to get started on an ambitious list. The weather here (Canada) is a bit chill this time of year (pictured right), so I've got a lot of time to kill in my house. I'm working my way through the New Super Mario Bros Wii game (World 3 and counting!), and am looking for a new selection of books to read.

I found today's book about two years ago and I can't say enough good things about it - so lets start.

Horror: the 100 Best Books, edited by Stephen Jones and Kim Newman, got me reading well beyond my comfort zone in horror novels. Like most people I've done the classics (Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.) and worked my way through Stephen King, so I wanted to exapnd my horizons a little.

The 100 books in question were selected by 100 different authors in the horror field and each book gets a couple of pages describing why that selection is worth looking at. Selections range from traditional horror to plays and even SF and Westerns. I think a lot of the titles are great starting points for a newcomer to horror if they want to get beyond the mainstream.

If you're looking for a great place to start exploring the genre, I can't think of a better book to point you at.

No comments:

Post a Comment